[haiku-doc] Re: Kernel Kit documentation?

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:31:27 -0500

On 2022-01-23 22:47, Dale Cieslak (dcieslak) wrote:
> I was looking for info about Areas, and could only find info in the Be Book.  It seems like none of the Kernel Kit is part of the Haiku book.  Is there a reason for that, or is it just something that no one has had time to document yet?
>
> I learned about at least one change to Areas that is different in Haiku vs. BeOS so it'd be nice to write that down somewhere for other people.

You're right, there's no kernel documentation in https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/docs/user

So no info on kernel threads, memory areas, bigtime_t (though SupportDefs.h docs mentions it) and lots of other functions.  You have to read the old Be Book (https://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/TheKernelKit.html) to find it.  And like you pointed out, some of it has changed and isn't documented.

So, what's the policy on doing kernel docs?  Just list the differences with BeOS?  Or have documentation for the full set of data types and functions?  Or keep it secret and tell people to read the headers. :-)

- Alex