[haiku-development] Re: weird segfault in malloc internals when trying to call fdopen()

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:50:00 -0700

Emacs also uses alloca() extensively.  My understanding is that it
allows very fast dynamic allocation by just decrementing the stack
pointer and fixing up the stack frame.  One doesn't have to free its
memory, you just return from the function that used it; that stack
frame fixup will ensure that the return does the right thing, rather
than jumping off into space.

It also causes a lot of portability problems, so you should make sure
that Haiku's alloca() does the right thing.  You might need to look at
the assembly code of a function that uses it.

I've built Emacs a few times.  Its build is scary enough even on
supported platforms.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford