[haiku-development] Re: request for yab in alpah3

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 10:56:08 -0700

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> we are looking for ways to redce the size of the alpha iso, and you want to
> add even more packages ?
> I'm ok with yab as a 3rd party application, but why should it be part of the
> main image ? Do you expect Visual Basic to ship with Windows ? I don't.

I suspect the question was more along the lines of: "Can we make Yab
easy to install as an optional package?"

What should be pointed out is that "OptionalPackages" was not really
meant to be a package management solution for easy software
installation. It's just a temporary solution for building images until
a package management solution is ready.

As for Yab on Haiku being compared to Visual Basic on Windows - I
might suggest that this is a bad precedent to set. Having been a VB
dev myself for nearly a decade, I *never* want to go back to doing
that again.

- Urias