[haiku-development] Re: (abandoned?) OptionalPackages still awaiting rebuild or should be just drop them from alpha3?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:18:22 -0700

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 11:40:22AM +0200, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01.06.2011 01:02, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:33:27PM -0700, scottmc wrote:
> >>                   It's been awhile since I used OpenSound, anyone
> >>tried it since the recent IO-APIC fixes?  I wonder if the long startup
> >>delay is still there?
> >
> >I've been trying to see if I can get OpenSound working on the laptop
> >under a current build.  Last night I did get sound out, using the files
> >that were originally there (dating from 2009, I think).  The usual wait
> >after boot before it would work was still there.  I've replaced them
> >today with the current optional package, and so far have complete
> >silence!  Maybe I haven't waited long enough yet...
>
> Waited for what? Someone to suddenly have the motivation and skill to
> improve the OSS port? Maybe it needs to be you...

Sorry -- you completely misunderstood my meaning there! (:-/)  As Denis
points out in another post, I meant the wait between boot-up and sound
actually working.  This is a long-standing problem for a number of people
(but not others, it seems).

> And sorry if I misread the tone of your mail. ;-)

I think, you did, sorta...! (:-))

But thanks for the code pointers, which give me a lot better idea of
what's going on.  It'll be easier to take another look, now.

However, I think I'm going to take this opportunity to make a point
from the other end of the see-saw.  I've submitted a number of patches
and other fixes which for various reasons are vital to me, and most
have been completely ignored.  This is highly discouraging to someone
who has put quite a lot of effort into them.  I now just have to rely
on custom builds to have a Haiku that works for me.  Viz.:

#4463 Add multi-ports support to USB MIDI driver
  I updated the usb_midi code to make it fully (USB-MIDI) standard compliant.
  This was three months ago, and it is still sitting there.  (Admittedly
  is isn't guideline compliant, but it is still largely older non-guideline
  code;  I adhered to its conventions rather than mixing things up.)
  It's central to my Haiku use.

#7182 Fixing Menu keyboard navigation
  While working on a fix some PopupMenu deficiencies, which was committed
  -- thank you Ryan -- I noted that keyboard menu navigation was also
  broken, so I spent some time developing a fix for that.  Ignored for
  four months.

#7284 auich.settings not installed
  This is just some missing information, but it seems that I'm not
  the only one affected.  (It causes the same delayed sound as occurs
  with OSS.)

#7285 BSoundPlayer sends buffers late, with ever-increasing latency
  This is the biggie for me.  It has only been in the pile in final
  form for a couple of weeks, but I've been working on it for most of
  this year.  Without this patch, there is no real-time audio on my
  system.

#7548 Patch to make vertical BSliders work
  OK -- this one is less than 2 weeks old, so I don't really expect
  it to have been committed yet, but I would like it to be noticed! (:-)
  I have some vertical sliders, so it is important to me.

Thanks to Korli, though, for committing a couple of my other patches
to the MidiKit.

Anyway, end of rant, but it's been simmering for a while.

Cheers,

        -- Pete --