[haiku-development] Re: mkfs utility for haiku

  • From: Marco Minutoli <mminutoli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 00:20:50 +0200

On Tue, 06 May 2008 23:45:04 +0200
Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marco Minutoli wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > This is a new CL file system initialization utility for haiku. It
> > use the new device interface.
> >
> > This is only a first version and I will be happy to improve it with
> > your feedback.
>
> What about an option to wipe all data on the disk first?

What about a wipe tool?

IMHO it's better follow the KISS policy in command line tools. I think
this tool should only be able to initialize a volume for every file
system supported from the os, nothing more.

For those in the paranoid squad :) we could write a dedicated tool.

> Even better, why not make this the default behaviour? Sometimes I
> feel paranoid and use all these options in Mac OS X...

This operation to have any sense should do N (where N is a relatively
big int) random write on the whole disk surface and this could take a
*very* long time with big disks. So make it as default behavior I don't
think is what an average user want.

Don't feel paranoid :). When NSA will knock at your door you won't have
the time to wipe your data and, in any case, they can use a microscope
to retrieve them :).

Cheers
Marco