[haiku-development] heap freelist problem?

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:02:41 +0100 CET

I've been trying to figure out why I'm seeing performance drop from P4
to Pentium having opened and closed(!) lots of applications, like all
of the Haiku applications or preferences, and at last I've found
something. I think.

Try opening 32 concurrent instances of StyledEdit. I create a folder
with a single link and Alt-A, Alt-D a couple of times. Then close them.
Via Deskbar is easier. You'll get pages and pages of freelists in KDL
heap_bindump.

Do the the freelists ever get cleaned up/emptied? Is memory
fragmentation and bad cache performance the root cause of the
performance drop I'm seeing?

/Jonas.