[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development] [haiku-development] /packages, /system/packages, /system/package-links…

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 20:11:56 +0100

Am 23.03.2014 um 22:54 schrieb Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 03/22/2014 06:09 PM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
>> Therefore, my proposal would be:
>> Remove /packages and /system/package-links, instead use /package-links and
>> mount the virtual filesystem there. That would give the following layout:
>
> It's quite confusing that you remove something (/system/package-links) you
> obviously don't understand any more than I do, at least :-)

Well, I'm not exactly removing it, but moving it.

> I assume that /packages contains all visible packages for the current user,
> while /system/package-links only has the one in /system.

You assumed wrong. /packages is a symlink to /system/package-links - this is
basically what I'm complaining about. You got it wrong which basically proves
the point I make: It's not intuitive.

> I'm a fan of calling things what they are, so /package-links sounds fine to
> me.

Yeah, especially as / is not shown in tracker, anyway.

> /usr is Unix, we inherited /system from BeOS. There it was /boot/beos/system,
> though. I'm not sure it's needed for compatibility, but since I'm not
> emotionally attached to it, that would really be only argument I have to keep
> it :-)

Well, there was also /beos IIRC, so programs depending on these old symlinks
are broken anyway ;).

--
Jonathan