[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development] /packages, /system/packages, /system/package-links…

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:54:12 +0100

On 03/22/2014 06:09 PM, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
Therefore, my proposal would be:
Remove /packages and /system/package-links, instead use /package-links and
mount the virtual filesystem there. That would give the following layout:

It's quite confusing that you remove something (/system/package-links) you obviously don't understand any more than I do, at least :-)

I assume that /packages contains all visible packages for the current user, while /system/package-links only has the one in /system.

In any case, since I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd be interested to hear what Ingo or Oliver have to say about it.

I'm a fan of calling things what they are, so /package-links sounds fine to me.

Oh, and while we're at it: What's the point of having /system -> /boot/system?
Just to save 5 characters at the price of cluttering /?
I do know that there were heavy objections to adding a /usr -> / symlink for
compatibility, but why then a /system -> /boot/system symlink?

/usr is Unix, we inherited /system from BeOS. There it was /boot/beos/system, though. I'm not sure it's needed for compatibility, but since I'm not emotionally attached to it, that would really be only argument I have to keep it :-)

Bye,
   Axel.