[haiku-development] Re: [gsoc2011] New File System

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:07:19 +0100

No, and I don't think that would even be desirable. If you'd like it to work
as in Windows, the MIME type should be associated with an application that
mounts the zip file and opens the mount point in Tracker. If you also want
to have the path look natural in navigator mode, a bit of explicit support
in Tracker is needed. E.g. the mount point could be actually created in the
directory (with an obvious name like "<zipname>-mounted"), but hidden by
Tracker. That obviously doesn't work on read-only volumes, though and has
the drawback of actually creating directories, which will be left over when
not unmounted and removed. So it's probably better to leave the mount point
in rootfs and rather fake navigation in Tracker. For an even more natural
integration kernel support would be needed, I guess.

I don't know if if works in Haiku, but mingw allows to mount volumes in non-existing directoies. This makes them invisible unless you explicitly ask for them (cd to it for example).
This may be a way to do it.

--
Adrien.