[haiku-development] Re: [gsoc2011] New File System

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:27:04 +0200

On 2011-04-05 at 01:13:58 [+0200], Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:13:37 +1200, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:46:23 +1200 Clemens
> > <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> no, but great idea!
> >
> > Actually, yes [1]. Though I have no idea what its current state is.
>
> Ah haven't knew that!
> with bindfs it is possible now to mount the zip file into the current
> directory.

I don't see why you would want to use bindfs. You can mount a file system
whereever you want anyway.

> Can it also shadow the actually file somehow? I mean in that
> way that you see the mounted directory with the zip file name but not the
> zip file itself (name conflict)?

No, and I don't think that would even be desirable. If you'd like it to work
as in Windows, the MIME type should be associated with an application that
mounts the zip file and opens the mount point in Tracker. If you also want
to have the path look natural in navigator mode, a bit of explicit support
in Tracker is needed. E.g. the mount point could be actually created in the
directory (with an obvious name like "<zipname>-mounted"), but hidden by
Tracker. That obviously doesn't work on read-only volumes, though and has
the drawback of actually creating directories, which will be left over when
not unmounted and removed. So it's probably better to leave the mount point
in rootfs and rather fake navigation in Tracker. For an even more natural
integration kernel support would be needed, I guess.

CU, Ingo