[haiku-development] Re: gcc2.95.3??

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 01:56:19 -0400

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:54 AM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am scratching my head here on this one a bit.
>
> I am getting an error "cast specifies signature type" when I set a pointer
> to a member function to NULL on gcc2 built on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, but not
> gcc2 build on 10.6 Snow Leopard. That is weird enough but it gets stranger.
>
> I tracked down when in gcc this bug got fixed, apparently it was fixed in
> r28677 on Aug 11 20:22:41 1999 UTC (12 years, 9 months ago)
>
> The change log fixing the file generating the error I am getting is here:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/cp/typeck.c?r1=28626&r2=28677
>
> Now, here is the part that has me scratching my head... I though we were
> on gcc 2.95.3 released March 16, 2001. Why am I running into gcc bugs fixed
> in 1999?

Sorry to answer my own question but I just downloaded the stock gcc 2.95.3
sources and the bug is indeed there, so while it got fixed in the svn repo
in 1999 apparently the fix never made it into a gcc2.95.x release.

> And worse yet, how do I fix this bug in gcc2 now?

This question still remains though, perhaps I can back-port a fix from the
gcc sources. Although, I was expecting to see the bug fixed after 2001, not
in 1999. Since this is gcc2 and binary compatibility is critical here, I'd
like someone with more experience in this area to check out the code and
see if there is anything I can do to fix this.

John Scipione