[haiku-development] Re: freetype2 and font antialiasing

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:34:08 +0200

Am 07.05.2008 um 09:58 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

Andreas Färber wrote:
There was a lengthy discussion on antialiasing for font rendering as a GSoC project on the OpenBeOS list. I wonder, it appears that installing
the latest CVS version of freetype2 (with no code changes or special
configure options) improves/changes the appearance of fonts in Haiku
after reboot, especially I notice that the "1" in Terminal's caption
looks bolder, with a softer 'border'. If I move my libfreetype.so symlink
away, after restart it is back to the old appearance.

Hm. It sounds a little like the autohinter has gotten worse again. I would have to see it for myself to be sure. Didn't have the time to look at it
yet.

[snip]

ii) Might Haiku need to update its in-tree freetype2?

And as pointed out in #1739, the Development Optional Package includes a symlink for libfreetype.so but not the headers, and as I now found out,
some software packages also need its freetype-config app and the
pkg-config files to detect and use it. Are people expected to use their
own version of freetype2? That might bear the danger of breaking the
system if the self-compiled version becomes inusable, when it is being
picked up by the system.

Could you help with a patch for fixing that?

In which way? :)

Adding the headers is a one-line fix I already have locally. Adding the pkg-config files from within Jam could be trickier since they are usually generated by configure; since we know the install location we could probably fix them up manually. Not sure how to build the app.

On the other hand, removing this library is not as trivial as removing the libnetwork symlinks; it would probably involve manually keeping a list of libraries to symlink inside the Optional Package rather than using the variable with the full list of system libs.

Andreas