[haiku-development] Re: freetype2 and font antialiasing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:58:03 +0200

Andreas Färber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There was a lengthy discussion on antialiasing for font rendering as a
> GSoC project on the OpenBeOS list. I wonder, it appears that installing
> the latest CVS version of freetype2 (with no code changes or special
> configure options) improves/changes the appearance of fonts in Haiku
> after reboot, especially I notice that the "1" in Terminal's caption
> looks bolder, with a softer 'border'. If I move my libfreetype.so symlink
> away, after restart it is back to the old appearance.

Hm. It sounds a little like the autohinter has gotten worse again. I would
have to see it for myself to be sure. Didn't have the time to look at it
yet.

> i) Should Haiku really pick up libraries in /boot/home/config/lib for
> such use?

No, I think it should not, especially not for such critical components like
app_server. This probably needs some special treatment in the runtime
loader.

> ii) Might Haiku need to update its in-tree freetype2?
>
> And as pointed out in #1739, the Development Optional Package includes a
> symlink for libfreetype.so but not the headers, and as I now found out,
> some software packages also need its freetype-config app and the
> pkg-config files to detect and use it. Are people expected to use their
> own version of freetype2? That might bear the danger of breaking the
> system if the self-compiled version becomes inusable, when it is being
> picked up by the system.

Could you help with a patch for fixing that?

Best regards,
-Stephan