[haiku-development] Re: click-through and AmigaOS mouse mode (patch)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 13:41:10 +0100

On 2009-03-06 at 14:01:17 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have noticed that tracker windows behave differently than other
> > > windows.
> [...]
> > I always found that whole behavior a bit strange. It looks to me like
> > Be first
> > decided that windows needed to be active to receive any mouse events.
> > Then
> > later they found that awkward during use, and instead of fixing it,
> > they introduced
> > B_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK. Which is probably what Tracker is using.
> > (Tracker
> > windows are perfectly normal windows, only the desktop window uses a
> > special
> > window flag unavailable to regular apps, but only so it always stays
> > bottommost.)
> > Maybe there are cases where an application wants the user to be able
> > to click
> > anywhere without actually doing something to bring the window to
> > front first. But
> > that should have been the other way around
> > (B_DO_NOT_ACCEPT_FIRST_CLICK).
> > Maybe I am missing something, though.
>
> Yes, in fact you do: many people (not me, though) actually like the
> behaviour of being able to get a window to front by clicking on it
> anywhere without having to worry about losing their selection or
> triggering an unwanted action, etc.

Exactly. That's also one thing I don't like about FFM -- you have
annoyingly small click targets to bring a window to front. This could
probably be remedied by having some modifiers+click combo bring the window
to front without side effect. The other annoyance -- the need to be extra
careful when moving the mouse pointer out of the way -- can't really be
helped, I guess.

CU, Ingo