[haiku-development] Re: click-through and AmigaOS mouse mode (patch)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:02:40 +0100 CET

"Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have removed the explicit activation of the windows from Tracker
> > and
> > MenuBar. Of course, behavior for the other mouse modes has changed
> > as a
> > result. Do we want to mimic BeOS behavior or do we want a
> > consistent interface
> > (Tracker windows act like any other window)?
> When watching people use BeOS/Haiku, who are not very familiar with
> it, they will
> very often click a menu bar to make the window come to the front,
> especially if the
> machine is already configured to FFM mode.
>
> I don't think that changing this traditional behavior is such a good
> idea. I'd rather
> have these places actually check the mouse mode.

Changing the status quo is indeed a bad idea. The current Tracker
behaviour is actually quite good with this, and much more useful than
any other file manager I came across so far. Like that dragging an item
does not bring the window to front (likely hiding the target window).
This little missing feature alone renders drag&drop almost useless in
Ubuntu's file manager, for example.

And menu bars in particular always brings windows to front which is
pretty useful for FFM users, as it significantly enlarges the area with
which you can bring a window to front.

So +1 to Stephan's opinion :-)

Bye,
   Axel.