[haiku-development] Re: boot manager error

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:13:03 +0200

scott mc wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 18/04/2008, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >  Does DriveSetup not yet make room either?
> >
> >  I didn't realize DriveSetup was actually able to create partitions yet!
> >
> >  I thought it only initialized existing partitions... maybe I haven't
> >  been paying close attention ;)
> >

> No you didn't miss anything, Create and Delete and still showing as (not
> implemented).

Correct. It's not only DriveSetup, the problem is the unfinished disk
device add-ons (with regard to write support). There are two add-ons, one
for "Intel Partition Map", which handles (the four) primary partitions and
"Intel Extended Partition", which handles "logical partitions" when one of
the primary is an extended partition. The later is unfinished and the
former could use some work as well. Initially, I was on the wrong track
with regards to representing the options in DriveSetup. For example, there
is no such thing as a "logical partition" in the on disk structures. There
is multiple conventions for partition layout, different operating systems
support different stuff, a great potential for screw ups here. So I didn't
explore this any further for the time being, I have a pile of uncommited
changes that I did before realizing there are no "logical partitions" (as a
type). When a partition is created, it is actually created with the type of
the file system, I thought one could create a partition and then decide on
the file system, wrong. Need to get back to that sometimes...

> I just used the whole drive, single partition on each.

From your description, it sounds very much like your drive (still) has no
partition table. I would recommend you repartition it with GParted from a
Linux Live CD. Then you have some partitions at all to test bootman with
more than one entry! :-D

Best regards,
-Stephan