[haiku-development] Re: Weird memory behaviour.

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:51:04 -0300

Bruno Albuquerque wrote:
First, a bit of background: When checking our the sources inside haiku using R5's svn client, the amount of used memory starts to increase until, it reaches around 1.3 Gb at the end of the checkout process. This could even be considered ok if it was not for the fact that even after svn closes, the 1.3 Gb of memory is still in use by the kernel and this does not go down. As a reference, my machine has 3 Gb of memory usable by Haiku and around 1.5 Gb are in use by caches when svn finishes. Note that it is 1.5 Gb of caches plus 1.3 Gb of actual used memory that I see.

Rene pointed to me that I may be misunderstanding the meaning of used memory and cached memory. He said that used memory includes cached memory which would explain all the memory I saw allocated after svn checkout. The problem is that I do get cached memory > used memory from time to time. Specially when compiling haiku within itself so even with this in mind, something still looks fishy.

-Bruno