[haiku-development] Re: VirtualMemory preferences

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:39:37 +0100 CET

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just opened the VirtualMemory preferences on a native installation.
> Having 2 gb RAM, it
> set the VM to 1.99 gb. I can't go any lower, but I could assign up to
> about 10 gb, which
> is the size of the partition.
> Are these limits sensible? Shouldn't I be able to set less than the
> physical RAM size and
> is more than the physical size sensible?
> Just wondering...

Some VMs don't support swap files smaller than the amount of memory,
and if you have a smaller one, you may not be able to let your machine
sleep (with suspend to disk) anymore (on other systems like Linux).
Since that application is a bit older, I think we can change the
minimal amount to something more sensible. Having a large swap file may
make sense if you need that much RAM (ie. more than one app that needs
the full 2 GB of its address space).

Bye,
   Axel.