[haiku-development] Re: VirtualMemory preferences

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:39:10 +0100 CET

PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, i'm sure FAT doesn't do anything else than storing file, so it
> would show if there is a difference with a filesystem journaling all
> the modifications. It may be very bad at allocating a file and
> finding
> disk space for it, but once the file is created, we would get direct
> access to the disk that may somewhat increase performance.
> Any other filesystem without journaling may work as well, but i don't
> know the full list of supported filesystems on haiku :)

FAT is not a fast file system. Unless you store the extents of the file
manually in the kernel, you should not use it for a swap file.
And journaling has nothing to do with the swap file; first of all, you
would never let the file system allow to log the data of a swap file,
and second of all, BFS usually only logs file meta data. There is no
difference in speed whatsoever in accessing file data.

Bye,
   Axel.