[haiku-development] Re: The status of getting a compiler running

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 15:01:59 +0100

Hi guys,

Ingo, could we make an extended version of your GCC how-to available on the Haiku site? I picked up your suggestion of placing the .o files into the system lib folder and symlinking it, and I added a rule to copy the GCC headers to a temporary folder (for further processing by a script running on Haiku). Yet after replacing the (whole) GCC include folder, I still get warnings about redefinitions for size_t and ssize_t between GCC's stddef.h and Haiku's size_t.h. What's the best way to fix that?

Am 04.02.2008 um 05:16 schrieb Rene Gollent:

The last time I intended to build Haiku under Haiku, it already failed at the "svn co" (though networking generally worked). That's been quite a while ago, and I believe I've seen a few network related commits in the meantime, so this might work better now. Unzipping the Haiku sources under Haiku should work since a few weeks (Axel fixed some BFS and block caches related bugs), so it shouldn't be that hard to get the sources onto your Haiku partition, even if you don't have BeOS on your machine. The bfs_shell is
your friend.

Hi Ingo,

I tried an svn checkout of the source tree from within Haiku today,
and that panicked for me with "heap overgrew itself"

How did you actually get svn onto Haiku?

For me, the Subversion package from the Haiku site failed to install with Haiku's PackageInstaller. And when trying to build apr-0.9.x, apr-util-0.9.x, zlib-1.2.3 and subversion-1.4.6 on Haiku, I get both mostly reproducible hangs during configure (<1% CPU -> SMP deadlock?), and there are issues building shared libraries (e.g. zlib's configure needed to be patched).

Is there any semi-official up-to-date developer resource to share such patches and instructions for Haiku/BeOS software?

The only thing close Google comes up with is the Pingwinek CVS, but their patches are mere hacks to continue building (some very bad) rather than real fixes that could go upstream.

Regards,

Andreas