[haiku-development] The R1alpha4 Release

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 18:13:58 -0400

Today is October 1, which was a date we were considering for release,
but obviously that won't be happening.

Nonetheless I do think the r1alpha4 branch is in fairly decent shape.
I just merged most of the relevant commits from master and applied
Matt's patch to update BeZillaBrowser.

There are a few optional packages which need to be updated (mainly Vim
I think, which just needs to be uploaded to haiku-files.org, and then
OptionalPackages can be updated.)

There are a few blocking tickets left:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&milestone=R1%2Falpha4&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

I personally think we can remove #8345 as a blocker. It is a serious
issue, but seems to only occur on computers with more than 4 GB of
RAM, which I suspect is not a large number of Haiku users.

Then there is #8454, which probably doesn't have an easy fix, but
maybe we can try using an older version of the driver in the release.

Another concern I have is the subpixel text rendering support, which I
have some partial work to fix. I should be able to finish that with a
few hours work. Then we just need a FreeType optional package with the
subpixel rendering support compiled in.

If anyone else has any other concerns about the release, post them here.

In general I think we should move into a fairly official testing
phase, and aim to release in two weeks, on Monday October 15.

--
Regards,
Ryan