[haiku-development] Re: TV card drivers

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:35:59 +1000

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What's the preferred directory to publish TV card drivers? I've used /dev/video for my current project but I notice someone has written one to /dev/dvb ... can't do that because the family of TV cards I'm writing for are not always digital, some are pure analog.

Alternatives might be /dev/multimedia or /dev/tv/analogue I suppose.

The subdirectory usually dictates not only the function, but also the interface of the driver. So if you can create a common device interface for DVB and whatever you are working on (there is a DVB media node that talks to the driver, but maybe that could be made more generic), it might make sense to move that driver to another place.

If there is no common standard for those devices (and each one requires its own media node), it might still make sense to put them into one folder. I think /dev/video would be a good candidate for this, as it's generic enough while /dev/multimedia is too generic IMO, and /dev/tv would be too specific already.

If you write a media add-on suitable for analogue TV, you could also publish (several) drivers under /dev/video/tv/ for this one. In any case, I think we should move the /dev/dvb/ driver to /dev/video/dvb/.

I'm working on the Philips SAA713x series ([4|80|0], or PCI category multimedia/other) fitted to about 45% of the TV devices in the world. Cards based on this series produce video, audio and (in some models) FM radio. My device driver is being loaded and recognised now, and have been in contact with Oscar Lesta in Argentina, who wrote a driver years ago but never finished the video part of it. He's sending me his code on the weekend and is happy to have it included in Haiku.

The current dvb driver for the cx23882 does appear to be misplaced. In BeOS 5.x the analog bt848 driver was situated in /dev/video so I'm happy to stay with that placement. And as you say I can also publish it elsewhere if needed.

Rob