[haiku-development] Summer of code aplication review

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku dev" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:30:01 +0100

Hello there,
I have just started to write my application for this year summer of code
It look like this:

ASTRACT:
Extend the existing "Network Preferences" application in order to allow
multiple profiles. Add setting types handling (Ethernet, PPP, Wifi) and
build up the PPP configuration dialog.
Ensure that everything is working fine :
-Saving a profile
-Modifying it (with or without saving)

DETAILED DESCRIPTION:
==Personal profile==
First Name : Adrien
Last Name : Destugues

email : pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx

availability :
I have an internship from March 31st to June 6th, so I have less free time
in this period (but I can still spend around 20 hours a week on this
project)
From June to August i'm fully available and will work on the project at
least 40 hours a week. I have nothing else planned this summer.

biography :
I studied computer science for two years, I had a project during the second
year (from october to march) wich is written in C++ with the Qt library
(around 10000 lines of code, written by 3 students).
I also run some others project on my free time, such as
http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/ , a painting program written for ms-dos
which i am porting to SDL.
I used BeOS for some time before switching to Linux and I would be happy to
see this system live again trough the Haiku project. I think the Summer Of
Code is a very good occasion to start coding for this project and I will be
happy to stay after the program end.

==Project Idea information==
Project title : Extend the existing "Network Preferences" application.

Project goals :
-Implement profile support, with editing, saving and loading.
-Add setting types handling (Ethernet, PPP, Wifi)
-Build up the PPP configuration dialog.
(I don't have a Wifi card so i'm not sure I can take over the Wifi part,
unfortunately)

Ensure that everything is working fine :
-Creating a new profile
-Copying a profile
-Deleting a profile
-Saving a profile
-Editing it (with or without saving)

Project description :
Unfortunately I am just finishing my synthesis project this week so I did
not have many free time to look at the code of the application.
To acomplish this project, the following steps will be needed :

-Build a paper prototype for the interface and discuss it with he mentor
(and possibly other people if they want to participate). The prototype will
be done with some drawing program (i think i will use Inkscape on Linux).
-Get the needed documentation about the API elements needed to implement the
designed interface.
-Review the existing code and see what needs to be modified in it to add the
support for profiles and settings types.
-Modify the code where needed
-Build an interface for the PPP settings and use it to test setting types
(we need at least 2 profiles types for testing).

Why do I want to work on this project :
This project seems very interesting to me. I would like to learn more about
the API used in Haiku and particularly on the GUI side. I have heard this
API is quite easy to use and very clean and I don't think i'll have many
problems learning it. The task of extending this preflet does not look very
difficult for me, and I will do this project to discover the Be API and get
started to do more development work for Haiku after the project's end.

________
Can someone tell me if I need to add something or if there is any other way
to make it better ?
Thanks,
Adrien Destugues - PulkoMandy