[haiku-development] Stable Branches was: "AHCI regressions"

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:45:23 -0500

On 2015-09-09 06:21, Axel Dörfler wrote:

Hi Stephan,

Am 09.09.2015 um 13:09 schrieb Stephan Aßmus:
This should be developed in a branch until it is
ready (or expected to be good enough), that is what they are for.

A branch usually does not help with testing on different hardware.
It's basically a choice of the development model: should trunk always
be stable or not?
Even after the fallout, I'd probably still do the same mistake again
in the future. What we miss is a relatively stable branch -- the
nightly builds aren't really helpful if you want is a *working*
on-the-edge system.

We're actually operating in reverse. We should have "releases" within
stable branches and have master where the (slightly) unstable stuff goes ;-)

Of course *large* changes should be in branches and not merged until ready.

-- Alex