[haiku-development] Re: Screen preflet, vesa

  • From: "Hma" <hma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 02:57:20 +0200 (EET)

Hi

First mailing-list post from occasional usability commentator, who may get
around to properly contribute someday. :)

Apply buttons in general are really bad for usability. They just cause
confusion and errors when user forgets to press them. Is there any reason to
demand press of an extra button? When no restart is needed, chancing
resolution or color (or Hz) could take effect immediately after any one of
the settings is changed.
 This would potentially mean showing "keep changes" dialog more than once,
but I don't see why that would be bad in this case (screen preflet doesn't
get used that often). It could even be good when user tries to find good
settings.

Same applies to Backgrounds preflet's Apply button. I did a little
experiment with it and made it apply all chances immediately. As far as I
could tell, chancing background color and dragging the background image
worked fine with "live updating" (under Vmware).

As for the unsupported graphics card warning, how about putting the
immediately important part first: "Changes take effect when Haiku is
restarted" (direct hint to restart). Then a little vertical space and a note
how compatible driver would be better than the used ANSI driver.