[haiku-development] Re: Ruby to drop support for 9 platforms, including BeOS

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:47:31 +0200

On 2008-07-29 at 18:11:06 [+0200], Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As announced here...
>
> http://www.rubyinside.com/ruby-1-9-0-3-and-drops-support-for-9-platforms-970.html
>
> ...Ruby plans to drop support for 9 platforms, including BeOS. Per the
> announcement, Ruby developers plan to "remove platform-specific codes
> for them from Ruby, unless someone become a maintainer by 25 Sep."
>
> I am not sure who maintained the BeOS specific code, or if there is
> anyone interested in avoiding the BeOS code from being removed (for
> the sake of future Haiku support, that is), but thought I would notify
> the Haiku developers in case there is anyone out there who would like
> to step up.

To be honest, I consider them dropping the BeOS a good thing. From my porting
experience so far, part of the task of porting something to Haiku is working
around the BeOS port. When we drop the __BEOS__ macro this will be less of a
problem, of course. Anyway, unless you have personal interest in the BeOS port,
please don't ask them to keep it.

CU, Ingo