[haiku-development] Re: Reconfiguration

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:51:42 +0200

On 2009-04-09 at 10:45:38 [+0200], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The directories beos/etc and beos/system should be left in situ for
> > > the
> > > moment to avoid problems with apps looking for stuff at absolute
> > > locations.
> >

> > No. I believe no one should have these folders/links around anymore and
> > instead locate apps which depend on these paths and help get them
> > fixed. If
> > impossible to fix, note them somewhere like in bug reports. As was said
> > before, the time until release is better spend on fixing stuff, rather
> > than
> > sticking to work arounds. For the same reason, I am not a great fan of
> > that
> > optional BeOS compat package which Francois introduced. It just helps
> > prolong the fixes to applications with hardcoded paths...
>
> It should only be seen as a workaround, not a solution. Still, R1 will
> need it for binary compatibility.

It is my point exactly, that to even find out if it's needed, it should not
be available already. Maybe all remaining apps can be fixed until release?
How would you find out if people run with this compatibility hack until
release? The solution is of course to fix hardcoding where we encounter it.
But the current workaround makes the solution much less likely to happen.
That's why I vote for removing it again.

Best regards,
-Stephan