[haiku-development] Re: Read-Only Problems

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:48:25 -0300

Truls Becken wrote:

With future multiuser support in mind, no program should ever write
settings to any other place than ~/config/settings. I believe this has
always been the Be philosophy anyway, so this should already be the
case, right? How about making /boot/home a ramdisk when running off a
read only volume?  That way everything should work as usual, but
changes would of course get lost on reboot (so a notice of this when
the desktop appears would be good, perhaps in a simple window that
also lets you start the installer?)

We have lots of things that will break when we go multiuser. I guess now is as good as any other time to start thinking (and even fixing) things like this.

-Bruno