[haiku-development] Re: R1A4 falling behind -- Ryan? Need for backup release coordinator?

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:31:04 -0500

On 2012-10-20 2:10 pm, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM, kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It seems we have started to fall pretty far behind on the R1A4 commits.

Ryan, are you out there? :)

Yeah I'm around. I've gotten a bit burned out with this insanely long
release cycle, and have just not been that motivated to boot up my
Ubuntu partition to do more cherry-picking. Of course I've made some
Ruby scripts that make it fairly easy, so there really isn't much
excuse, except I have not been motivated.

No worries, I *definitely* know the feeling. (like I've mentioned before,
I've been going through the same thing for a few months now)

Though I know others have had this job before too, but I think this is
the longest time we've had an alpha branch so far before a release.

Very true, we are expecting a *lot* to be merged.

Here is the current list of things waiting to be merged:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha4/MergeTracking

Here is the last commit Ryan made to R1A4:

http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/commit/?h=r1alpha4&id=fbb6afe44575cca9e49940fb9066753ebc2ed856

That commit was pushed on 10/3/2012, it's now 10/20/2012.

I know stuff comes up... maybe we should designate a backup Release
Coordinator?

I would be happy to get some help. It really isn't that hard,
especially with my Ruby script (though that could use more work.)

Hmm, maybe we should move the Release Coordinator into shifts?

* (1-2 weeks X is the 'official' release coordinator)
* (1-2 weeks Y is the 'official' release coordinator)
* (1-2 weeks Z is the 'official' release coordinator)
* (repeat and expand as needed)
* When the final release date is decided, all release coordinators meet up
  and discuss any outstanding items.

Ryan, do you think posting your ruby scripts would help everyone stay consistent? Maybe it would be good to document the process and anyone taking a release coordinator slot would
need to follow the process *exactly*

But I'll reboot into Ubuntu today or tomorrow and merge what needs to
be merged. Do we need an alpha branch for the buildtools repo???

I don't think a branch is needed for the buildtools... it doesn't change
*that* much and would add complication to an already complex process.

Any automation we could do would also help prevent people from burning out on the
day-to-day tasks.

Anyway, i'm available to fill one of the release coordinator slots if needed.

 -- Alex