[haiku-development] Re: R1 Status Update Request

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:05:47 +0000

2008/6/26 François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:49:50 +0000, Salvatore Benedetto wrote
>> > Has anyone been able to fully build haiku from haiku?
>>
>> I did so last night and I am doing it right now while I'm writing
>> this. I've
>> more or less switched fully to Haiku when on the go. I get internet
>> through
>> usb_ecm and my mobile phone (Firefox runs extremely well for me by
>> now), get
>> sound out of HDA through OSS and since the stability has become
>> fairly good
>
> Yeah it seems Stephan made something useable from the mess I wrote,
> thanks :)

By the way, is OSS going to be installed by default? Or will the user require
to do it manually?

>>  (I get KDL pretty rarely, most of the time with continuable errors),
>
> Yeah I still need to update OSS itself.
> they moved to mercurial for development, I have hg running under Zeta
> (wasn't too hard, it's python mostly) and the sources checked out, just
> need to apply the patch.

Have you plan on when to do it? :)

>> I'm not
>> really looking back at my BeOS R5 on this machine. Due to file
>> caching
>> actually not only caching as few as on R5 the performance of svn and
>> jam is
>> absolutely reasonable, better than on R5, but of course with the to
>> be
>> expected issues through the lack of an IO scheduler and proper pre-
>> fetching.
>> But in general Haiku has become everyday usable for me in the last
>> few weeks.
>
> I've yet to make the switch here but hopefully this summer...
> I need to get XEmacs (I heard the BFS issue might have been fixed, will
> see).

As I said, I followed your step and got not no crash but the
exacutable of xemacs,
which did not run due to missing fonts. (BTW: I'm still waiting for
you to sending me
the other zip with the linking problem :-) ).

> François.

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)