[haiku-development] Re: Question about git..

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:28:38 +0200

On 2012-07-20 at 21:36:37 [+0200], Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Urias McCullough писал 20.07.2012 19:20:
> > "master" is basically just the default branch, so it behaves the same
> > way as the others, and you can keep it in sync with origin/master,
> > and
> > rebase your development branches against it.
>
> BTW, how to keep branches up to date with the master without switching
> to every branch separately? That forces most of modules to recompile
> after switching back to master that it is just waste of time in this
> case.

I don't think that you can update branches other than the current one, at
least git merge and git rebase don't seem to support it. I suppose this is
because of potential conflict handling during merge/rebase.

In order to keep a separate checkout of master that isn't changed by your
work on local branches, just use a second git repository for those. If you
do the second clone from your local repository, it won't waste much space
either (unless the repository is on a BFS partition, which doesn't support
hard links).
It is possible to configure the second repository (the one with your local
branches) to push directly towards git.haiku-os.org, so you won't have to
push your changes through two repos.

cheers,
        Oliver