[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: {dns,name,resolver}_server

  • From: Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:33:01 -0800

> Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So I'm proposing, and if there isn't massive objection, intending to
> > implement a
> > _very_ basic forwarding dns server that will be used libbind for all
> > DNS requests.
> > This server will accept messages for introspecting and setting DNS
> > settings, so
> > that the network preflet can just send a message to update DNS
> > settings instead
> > of writing resolv.conf.
>
> Something like this (for caching, mostly, but also for things like
> Bonjour/ZeroConf) is already the plan. However, it should be made part
> of the net_server, and not be an extra server.

Awesome. Good to know I wasn't totally out-of-bounds. :) I was also looking
at multicast dns, but figured I'd start with something simple and go from there.
For now I will just aim to get the basics: a server that forwards to the primary
and then secondary DNS as set by DHCPClient or the preflet.

> > Advanced features that I currently use dnsmasq to do would be
> > forthcoming:
> >
> > [...snip...]
> Well, I haven't ever needed something like this yet, but I guess it
> wouldn't hurt to have it either.

Heh. Yeah I work on an app that requires wildcard DNS, and we have a bunch
of servers not exposed to the internet at work, so those things combined means
I have a very... advanced, DNS setup. That being said, I think that being able
to setup these advanced features simply (It took me a week to get everything
working
nicely and there are still one or two things I'm displeased about) is a huge
win.

Even just getting VPN to configure DNS correctly is a huge win. My local DNS
server
responds much more quickly then going over VPN for every DNS request. :)

> Basically, libbind would try to forward the calls to the net_server -
> if that one isn't running, it would fall back to the default resolver.

Where does the default resolver get stored? Hopefully not resolv.conf, I think
that
just leads to confusion like the OS X case, where DNS is configured for
different apps
in different places.

Alex