[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: {dns,name,resolver}_server

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:20:46 +0100

Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I'm proposing, and if there isn't massive objection, intending to
> implement a
> _very_ basic forwarding dns server that will be used libbind for all
> DNS requests.
> This server will accept messages for introspecting and setting DNS
> settings, so
> that the network preflet can just send a message to update DNS
> settings instead
> of writing resolv.conf.

Something like this (for caching, mostly, but also for things like
Bonjour/ZeroConf) is already the plan. However, it should be made part
of the net_server, and not be an extra server.

> Advanced features that I currently use dnsmasq to do would be
> forthcoming:
>
> 1) ability to mark a domain as bogus (so if your ISP resolves all IPs
> to some
> dumb error page, you can override that)
> 2) ability to setup a wildcard DNS pointing at some IP (i use this
> for work *.acre.z points
> at my laptop)
> 3) ability to have certain domain pathes be resolved by a different
> DNS server then
> the default one (I use this for VPN, so that only my work DNS
> requests go to the work
> DNS server)

Well, I haven't ever needed something like this yet, but I guess it
wouldn't hurt to have it either.

Basically, libbind would try to forward the calls to the net_server -
if that one isn't running, it would fall back to the default resolver.

Bye,
   Axel.