[haiku-development] Re: Proposal and questions: Support of BFS attributes in TAR archiver.

  • From: Stephan AÃmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:52:55 +0200

Am 24.10.2012 23:08, schrieb Siarzhuk Zharski:
XATTR cons:
[...]
5) BFS attributes, archived using xattr emulation can be restored on any
FS supporting such feature. Do we really want to populate foreign file
systems with BFS attributes?

So basically, when I tar something up in Haiku, untar it in Linux onto an FS supporting xattr, tar it back up in Linux and untar it in Haiku onto BFS, I get all the original BFS attributes restored. Why would this be a bad idea? Don't think about this from the perspective of "Is it Ok to write BFS specific attributes to foreign file systems?". Think of it in terms of what the user would likely want: "Why should attributes be thrown away when they could technically be preserved?"

Best regards,
-Stephan