[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Release Schedule

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:55:54 +0200 CEST

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * The website team needs time to prepare for the release, either with
> the new website theme (drupal 6) and/or with adaptations of the
> structure of the website
> * The marketing department needs to get started.
> * Since it is now summer holidays (in many many places) I think a
> start date of August 15th is to shorthand. I propose we give people a
> bit more time to finish their projects.

Technically, there is no need to release the alpha even though we
already have the builds available; if other teams need more time, then
we just release later (eventually with more bug fixes).

> ### Tuesday September 1st 12:00 GMT:

I have nothing against this schedule in theory, I just want to mention
that this removes Ingo's as well as my work force from the release more
or less completely.

As the code is ready now mostly, I don't think waiting that long is
needed. I would just separate the needs of marketing/website then with
the development itself. Ie. we can do the alpha freeze earlier, and
then start a branch for the alpha where only bug fixes are applied
(ported from trunk).
Once the website and documentation is okay, we can do the release.

Bye,
   Axel.