[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Release Schedule

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:55:41 +0200

Hi Axel,

2009/8/10 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * The website team needs time to prepare for the release, either with
>> the new website theme (drupal 6) and/or with adaptations of the
>> structure of the website
>> * The marketing department needs to get started.
>> * Since it is now summer holidays (in many many places) I think a
>> start date of August 15th is to shorthand. I propose we give people a
>> bit more time to finish their projects.
> Technically, there is no need to release the alpha even though we
> already have the builds available; if other teams need more time, then
> we just release later (eventually with more bug fixes).
>> ### Tuesday September 1st 12:00 GMT:
> I have nothing against this schedule in theory, I just want to mention
> that this removes Ingo's as well as my work force from the release more
> or less completely.

How do you guys feel about that? In other words, is it ready or not?

> As the code is ready now mostly, I don't think waiting that long is
> needed. I would just separate the needs of marketing/website then with
> the development itself. Ie. we can do the alpha freeze earlier, and
> then start a branch for the alpha where only bug fixes are applied
> (ported from trunk).

But by that logic we can also tag right now and release publicly when
the infrastructure is ready. I think it is a waste of time for
developers to backport fixes to another branch, since it means that
devs should test the changes with two trees, which is not reasonable
for an alpha release. My timeline puts this cut-off point at a later
stage in time. This means business as usual until September 1st.

As for the experimental side of things I put in a feature freeze
(instead of a branch point). Whether or not it will stimulate devs to
spend a week bugfixing is still unclear, but I hope we can give it a

> Once the website and documentation is okay, we can do the release.

Yes. But instead of waiting for those things to finish, I feel that
there needs to be a deadline to get everybody into 'release mode' in
order to use everybody's potential. Deadline stress supposedly can be
very productive. The issue is that it can always we better. We need to
get to 'good enough for now' instead.



Other related posts: