[haiku-development] Port revisions vs package revisions

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 03:55:47 +0100

Hi!

I just uploaded zsh for x86 and the libpcre it needs (unfortunately, I added
libpcre after I added zsh…). After adding libpcre, I noticed that this broke
git and that I need to rebuild git. No problem so far, so I just rebuilt git.
However, I noticed that I can't update it, as it has the same version! So what
do I do now? Increasing the port version just to be able to update the git
package so it links against the new pcre seems wrong…

I tried the obvious solution of just replacing the files on the server, but I
don't have the required permissions. So what do I do now? I'd like to fix this
ASAP. As it's quite late and nobody seems to be around in IRC who could help
out, I'm going to sleep now, so I uploaded the packages here so that someone
with proper permissions can replace the old ones:
https://webkeks.org/hpkg-upload/

Maybe I shouldn't do things this late, didn't realize that just by uploading a
new package I could break things :(.

Anyway, we really need to find a solution to the "a new library was added and
the binary needed to be rebuilt" thing. Maybe make it possible to keep old
versions of libraries? I wonder why the package manager wouldn't recognize that
the new version of libpcre should even be compatible with the old one. I guess
the problem was that git linked to the specific .so.x.y instead of the .so.x?

--
Jonathan