[haiku-development] Re: Port revisions vs package revisions

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:57:59 +0100

Am 16.02.2014 um 16:19 schrieb Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

> Generally we also need to agree on a policy when/how we want to provide
> packages for older library versions and when we don't and simply require all
> depending ports to be rebuilt. For HaikuPorts alone it could be rather
> straight forward -- update to newer and ditch old version whenever possible
> -- but at some point compatibility issues for third-party packages need to be
> considered.

Yes, that would really be helpful. Though PM would still need to know how to
handle what I'd like to call "symlink conflicts". E.g. if we install both
versions of libpcre, both will provide a symlink libpcre.so to either
libpcre.so.0 or libpcre.so.1. One approach could be to NOT include those
symlinks in packages and let the PM create them? I know that some systems let
ldconfig crease these links.

--
Jonathan