[haiku-development] Re: Parallel port driver

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:52:08 +0200

Hi,

> Can you comment some more on how this driver can be
> used and whether it's complete or what is still missing?

After a quicklook, it seems complete *and* fully compatible with
R5 parallel ports driver API. The public parallel_driver.h header,
being identical to Be's one,
could needs some copyright care before being added to
headers/os/drivers folder, though.

> I assume applications open() the device and then use ioctl()?
> Or is there already some code in the API kits that can make use of this
> (i.e. does the ioctl() interface follow some established Haiku standard)?

Beside Parallel Port print transport add-on, nothing interface with
/dev/parallel/* devices yet.
For hotplug printer detection and model identification, the ioctl()
interface would be usefull, though, as it's not a feature supported by
this transport add-on (list_transport_ports() simply report every
parallel port supported, not the printers detected on it...), contrary
to the USB transport one, which does it in a nice way.

> Also I can't tell how severe the other items in the TODO are and
> whether they limit usability of the driver or not.

Except for ieee1284 full compliance maybe, I don't see stoppers.

> The code has some consistent violations of the coding style... :-) If others
> agree we could apply it as is nevertheless, since it's pretty much a closed
> component.

+1

Then I'll hunt down for my old parallel Canon BJ-220 ;-)

If anyone could point at some code detecting printer presence and
model over a parallel port, please share it on a new Trac ticket...

Bye,
  Philippe.