[haiku-development] Re: PM proposal: moving home/config/apps

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 22:43:38 +0200

On 10/02/2013 09:02 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Julian Harnath
<julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thoughts on this? I would be interested in going ahead and create a
patch for it to see how it is in actual use. However, if everyone agrees
that it's a bad idea, that would be a waste ;)

I was kind of waiting for the "package management experts" to weigh in
on this,

It doesn't have all that much to do with package management. Package management basically only controls the read-only hierarchies in the installation locations. Creating a /boot/home/apps symlink (moving "apps" out of the packagefs volume obviously isn't possible) isn't related.

but for what it is worth, what you suggest makes sense. The
latest idea of the virtual /boot/apps sounds pretty good.

I wouldn't mind either. /boot isn't particularly crowded ATM and will be even less so once "common" has been removed. Alternatively or additionally the Deskbar menu could sport a submenu "Application Folders" which would show the virtual directory suggested for /boot/apps.

CU, Ingo