[haiku-development] Re: PM proposal: moving home/config/apps

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:02:31 -0400

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Julian Harnath
<julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thoughts on this? I would be interested in going ahead and create a
> patch for it to see how it is in actual use. However, if everyone agrees
> that it's a bad idea, that would be a waste ;)

I was kind of waiting for the "package management experts" to weigh in
on this, but for what it is worth, what you suggest makes sense. The
latest idea of the virtual /boot/apps sounds pretty good.

I definitely see your point in that applications can seem a lot more
opaque once package management is in place. In fact, I could see some
benefit in automatically opening up the newly installed application's
folder in Tracker after the package is activated, sort of like what
happens with Expander.

--
Regards,
Ryan