[haiku-development] Re: Optimizing Painter::_DrawBitmapBilinearCopy32

  • From: Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:13:00 +0200

Half an hour ago, Haiku rendered a movie using the MMX/SSE code for the first time, playing The Life of Brian in VLC:

http://www.elenthara.de/Haiku/Haiku_VLC_SSE.jpg

The colors are /supposed/ to be that way, I set the red channel to full in my code to make sure app_server uses the proper code path.

This is far from release-ready, I just hacked the code in for a first test. There are still many problems with overlapping windows, mouse movement leaving artifacts, etc.

CPU usage drops significantly, even though there is still quite a high load (Haiku uses 2 VCPUs on my Q9550, which runs at 3.33 GHz at the moment).

Stephan, are there any other performance-critical functions used for movie playback in app_server? Color conversion. data copying, etc. If so, I could take a look at the next optimization targets to tackle after integration of this is done.

Christian