[haiku-development] Re: No unmount during shutdown?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:58:10 +0200

François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 17 août 2010 à 16:25, Janito Ferreira Filho a écrit :
> > Well, currently my unmount code does some cleaning up (clearing the
> > journal for example). Should I move the code to sync? Thank you,

Depends on what you do; after "sync", the volume should be in a clean
state, ie. no data loss if you immediately remove the drive.

> Certainly no, sync is not the same as unmount.
> I'd say it's a bug if we do not unmount.

While we could force unmount, we cannot do a generic unmount of
everything, since we let several services running that don't need to be
stopped (for example those that still let you move the mouse, and allow
you to push the "restart" button if shutting down failed for whatever
reason).

Bye,
   Axel.