[haiku-development] Re: (No From: Juha-Jarmo Heinonen <o@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 03:04:37 +0200

On 2012-12-21, at 2.32, Jimmy <jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> In going back and forth between BeOSr5 and Haiku, I noticed that the mouse
> speed in BeOS is faster by default. Maybe we should adjust this. A faster
> mouse speed also gives a feel of faster/better performance.
> Cheers, and great job all!
> Jimmy

I think the default speed should be borderline usable for absolute beginners,
but definitely not feel like a handicap for most users, which are eventually
power users of either our system or another one testing Haiku out. Good
defaults are about minimizing annoyance and forcing the user to go to the mouse
settings as the first task is downright user-hostile. Could we play around with
and/or expose more options to speed/acceleration and possibly even the
acceleration curve? A linear acceleration would at least in my opinion be the
losing choice to a logarithmic acceleration, as long as the parameters are
sanely tuned. That way the beginner could move around the mouse at slow and
controllable speeds, but the advanced user could quickly move the cursor from
one edge of the screen to another without beating the table with the mouse
repeatedly.