[haiku-development] Re: Making a bootable ISO using 'mkisofs' under Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:22:26 +0100

On 2010-01-30 at 05:47:37 [+0100], Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to know how, or if it's possible, or if there's a bug in mkisofs,
> when doing the following; any help would be appreciated.
>
> I can create a custom bootable ISO of Haiku (with all my own apps, settings,
> drivers, etc.) within Haiku, but there are some issues.
>
> First I grab a nightly VMware image, fill it with goodies, then grab the
> nightly ISO with the same revision, and rip the boot floppy image out of it.
>
> Run this command under Haiku:
>
> mkisofs -R -max-iso9660-filenames -b haiku-boot-floppy.image -c boot.catalog
> -o /Haiku-Custom.iso /boot
>
> (took me a while to figure the above out, and note, adding the Joilet flag
> will result in an ISO that doesn't boot)...
>
> Testing the ISO in Qemu, it loads, fine, boots fine, applications load fine,
> etc.
>
> The only thing is, (most) all of the applications and folders don't have
> their icons. I'm assuming the attributes didn't copy over?
> Is it possible to make a fully functioning bootable ISO of Haiku using
> mkisofs using this method?

Since ISO9660 doesn't support BeOS attributes, those have to be emulated
specially. There's a tool in Haiku's build system, generate_attribute_stores,
which can be run on the root folder that will later be passed to mkisofs. It
creates subdirectories that encode the attributes. You do *not* want to run
it on /boot or any other folder you use regularly or you'll have those
subdirectories all over the place. Create a temporary copy somewhere instead.

Also note that we may or may not decide to change the format of the attribute
emulation. So while it is fine to create Haiku boot CDs this way I would
strongly discourage creating backups or anything like that, as a later Haiku
version might not be able to read the attributes correctly anymore.

CU, Ingo