[haiku-development] Re: Localization of 3rd party applications and add-ons

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 19:33:44 +0200

is there some information available about how to localize 3rd party applications and add-ons?

Check the blogposts with tag "localekit" on www.haiku-os.org.
Basically, you have to run your files through some tools to gather the translatable strings.
The tools are :
 * cpp (the C preprocessor)
 * collectcatkeys (preprocessed sourcefile > catkeys)
 * Some people to translate the .catkeys file
 * linkcatkeys (catkeys > catalog)

For a 3rd party application and add-ons for that application the localization files should be installed in the application folder (of that application). Can that be achieved already using the Haiku Locale Kit?

It should work fine. Put your catalog files in <executable_dir>/locale/catalogs/<app_mimesignature>/<language>/<language>.catalog
This scheme may look complicated, but :
a) it follows the same architecture than the system-wide one
b) it allows you to have multiple apps in the same directory

For system add-ons (for example a 3rd party printer driver) I guess it is OK to install the localization files also in system folders?

I don't remember if this is handled properly. I think the locale kit will look in the system wide area and the directory of the app instanciating the add on.

--
Adrien Destugues
pulkomandy.ath.cx