[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 23:25:39 +0200

Am 10.05.2012 23:36, schrieb John Scipione:
I installed the KeymapSwitcher optional package and was able to see the preference pane, but, unfortunately it crashed Deskbar when I tried to install into Deskbar.

I suspect your latest "American" --> "US" keymap rename is responsible for this problem. Rakes strike back. :-D
Wait a bit until new KS package will be added into the tree.

On a side note, shouldn't KeymapSwitcher get installed into Desktop applets, not Preferences?

It can live only in the Deskbar so why it should be ranked as "Desktop" thing? ;-) And this is really the "Preferences" of "Keymap Switcher" so what is wrong?

What is wrong with Alt+Space as a shortcut? I agree that whatever is chosen should be configurable, in fact, all system-wide shortcuts should be configurable. The point is, the shortcut should be easy to type so as to make it easy to switch keymaps since it is something you are likely to do a lot. Blindly copying is a bad idea, but, there is a good reason that the shortcut is what it is on Mac OS X -- it is easy to type and the space key in the same position across all keymaps.

Just do the things as flexible as possible.

As far as flags and custom keymaps goes, a solution could be to set the flag as an attribute kind of like how the keymap name is set now. Since you most likely won't create custom keymaps from scratch, you instead base your custom keymap on an existing system keymap, when you change the system keymap, the attribute gets copied to your custom keymap. Also the attribute could be changed by the user like any other attribute. However, like I said, perhaps this feature isn't needed at all, the 2-letter code may be good enough.

During maintaning the KSwitcher all those years I was asked many times about this "flags" feature so it is needed.

---
Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski