[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 23:02:38 +0200

Am 10.05.2012 22:23, schrieb pulkomandy:
System-wide shortcuts are (or should be) configurable, while shortcuts in applications aren't. Localization of shortcuts also makes this pretty messy, for example undo is Alt+Z on Azerty and on Qwerty keyboards, so the key to press moves around, while on a Cyrillic Keymap I expect it to be on the key labelled Z on Qwerty (am I right ?).

With cyrillic keymap no letter-based shortcuts are working at all. :-D
BTW, Keymap Switcher has special "remapping" feature to change the character on the fly to corresponding latin one in case Cmd-modifier is active.

This means application shortcuts should be keymap dependant in a non-straightforward way.

This means that Haiku's implementation of shortcuts is far from perfection.

The more system shortcuts you add, the more likely one of them will clash with some application shortcut.

I think that user can decide better which shortcut is more suitable for him personally. And we will be not responsible for his decision in case of shortcuts conflict. ;-)

Even worse if you use the command key. This leaves very few shortcuts matching for the keymap switching function : * Does not use command + something (likely used by some app) * Does not use letters (will move around when swapping keymaps) * Is simple enough, as it will get used often ... I think caps lock is actually a very good choice for this ?

BTW, using CapsLock/ScrollLock for KeymapSwitcher has clashed with default handling of this buttons in the input_server. They are available in the list but behaviour is not predictable. Yes, the CapsLock is very popular as keymaps switcher, but we have to hack input_server for this and let the CAPITALIZE FANS to switch this off.

Since the keymap switcher is not used by everyone, a lot of devs will be tempted to use the shortcut for their own app, and it will then conflict. Of course, you can make a bug report to these guys :)

IMO, it is difficult to find the shortcut that satisfy everyone. And do not forget, that we still speaking about simple cycle switching. What about configurations with N keymaps and N+1 required shortcuts to select every one directly without cycle?

---
Kind Regards,
  S.Zharski