[haiku-development] Re: Kernel Development Workflow

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 08:33:54 +0100

Hi Aditya,

Am 16/11/2017 um 17:42 schrieb Aditya Kamath:

For example, do most developers cross compile on Linux or compile Haiku inside Haiku and have the newly built kernel run on the next reboot?
And if you do cross-compile, do you boot the generated image directly or somehow replace the kernel in a VM with an existing installation of Haiku.

As a developer, you're usually trying to get turn around times as low as possible.
When doing user level work, I prefer working directly on Haiku. But for low-level stuff, I use a VM whenever possible, mostly building from Linux in this case, although qemu runs quite okay on Haiku, too.

If it has to be real hardware (driver development, or when investigating an issue that only happens on a specific piece of hardware), I was always using network boot when possible. It appears to be broken ATM, though (but hey, patches welcome!).

In that case I usually use the "update" target with the components that need updating for example like this:
$ jam -q @my-build-profile update kernel bfs

Bye,
   Axel.