[haiku-development] Re: How to use RemoteDisk?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:05:55 +0100

On 2010-01-01 at 19:32:59 [+0100], Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:11:07 +0100, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > So, what is this RemoteDisk facility and how do I use it? :)
> > Can this be used to access a remote haiku.image?
>
> Maybe works with...
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/disk/virtual/remote_disk/RemoteDisk.cpp

Guys, I don't know what your plans with the PPC port are, but if you intend to
go
further than fixing a few hardware or OF specific bugs and the regressions that
cropped up since I left it alone, you really need to learn to be a bit more
self-sufficient. The PPC port is really unfinished and if you plan to get it
actually
working, you'll have to seriously dig into at least the PPC architecture
documentation
and the kernel source. Probably as well into boot loader, libroot, runtime
loader, and
some part of gcc/binutils. So answering simple questions like the one above you
should
really be able to do yourself in a few minutes by employing basic tools like
find, svn
log, google, and looking into the source.

Anway, "remote disk" is a simple hown-brewn protocol for serving a disk image
over
UDP. The intended application is network boot. I used it when working on the
PPC port
to get reasonable turn-around times. If you have a working PPC emulator it's
probably
less interesting, but if you want to work with real hardware, a two machine
setup with
netboot is really the way to go. As for how to use it, you have to run
remote_disk_server on your development machine. I believe the PPC OF boot
loader
automatically picks it up, when you load the boot loader via TFTP. I don't
recall any
further details, but it shouldn't be hard to extract more info from the boot
loader,
if necessary.

CU, Ingo